Saturday, February 27, 2010

restaurant review: Farrs ice cream cafe

Farr's ice cream is almost synonymous with going to the Ogden Temple. I can't think of a time I've gone there when it wasn't after doing baptisms for the dead or a session. There was a coupon recently for 50% off their new store or "cafe" in the paper. Given the fact that Farr's despite popularity was always reluctant to franchise themselves, I was interested in trying it. I was blown away by how much fun the place was. It is a self-serve ice cream station where you pay by the ounce(39 cents or 6.24 Lb). You can choose from frozen custard,frozen yogurt, or ice cream. I assembled a mixture of brownie batter ice cream with a splash of blackberry yogurt. The toppings were plentiful, fresh, and delicious. They have a wide assortment of fresh fruit including kiwis, raspberries, and blueberries as well as several others. They have all the regulars topping as well as a huge assortment of candy bars. They even have cereal. I've never tried that as a topping but am planning on next time. It was great to have the variety and fun of making it. The lone drawback was the noticeable absence of whipped cream which is one of my main food groups. I was able to survive though with a few extra cherries. I also learned that ice cream weighs a lot. We ended about nine bucks for two big bowls of ice cream and some spring water. Was it worth it? Would I take visiting family and friends there? of course. It's a great experience and fun time. We then finished our date by going to Lowe's and getting paint swatches to redo our bedroom. Ashley is definitely feeling pregnant as after eating dinner she devoured the ice cream and then after Lowe's, she wanted a bag of bread sticks and a smoothie. I'm hoping her cravings will include bread and water.

3 comments:

The Adams Family said...

Too bad I didn't get my smoothie:) LOL

Loriannie said...

Sounds nummy! Too bad I can't have so much icecream or i would be HUGE!!!!! So,do we know who is winning biggest loser? Keep going to Farr's. (I guess you are out of the running now Ashley)

Erin said...

this place sounds like heaven. take me!